Ridge Climbing in Korea
Note: If this page doesn't load, restart your device, or try another internet connection
- Palbongsan may not be a particularly large mountain, at only 302m, but it has 8 distinct rocky peaks, all of which overlook the majestic Hongcheon River. This ridge climb is suitable for all abilities and the trail variations accommodate different levels of confidence at its height. On peak 4, there is an optional scramble up a 'chimney', which finishes with a squeeze up through a hole in the rock. Peak 6 has an optional scramble that puts you very close to a sheer edge, offering you a fantastic sensation of exposure. After the 8th peak (the steepest climb of them all), we descend down to the riverside and make our way back to the start, ducking under overhanging sections of cliff.
- On this challenging trail, we tackle 2 ridges, topping 14 peaks; this is reputedly the hardest path up Gwanak mountain. Our first waypoint is Munwon Falls, where we detour away from the main trail and head up to the ridge. On the way up, we scramble and climb on numerous near vertical rock faces. The second ridge, which climbs down into the valley between Samseong and Gwanak mountains, is equipped with more fixed ropes, to allow for an easier descent. Along this half of the route, there are many distinctive rock formations, with a 'crown' you can climb and sit upon, as well as a narrow hole to crawl through. When we reach the valley, we can stroll leisurely towards Seoul National University campus and the Lake Park. Start and Finish locations are different, and on opposite sides of the mountain (but well connected by Seoul subway). Your guide will carry a rope, should you need the extra support on the exposed sections of scrambling.
Things to Know:
- J F M A M J J A S O N D (Year Round)
- Wear typical hiking clothes. Dress according to the weather and be sure to wear proper shoes.
- Level 1: 3-4 Hours
- Level 2: 5-6 Hours
- Snacks and Water
- Use of protective equipment where required (helmets, harness, rope, etc.)
- Level 1: 1-8 People
- Level 2: 1-6 People
- Level 1: Minimum age is 12
- Level 2: Minimum age is 14
- Our guide can meet you at the mountain, or at a location nearest you and travel to the mountain together using public transportation
- English and Korean
Sleeping Dragon Ridge
- Send us a message at any time on WhatsApp or KakaoTalk if you have any questions or concerns.
- WhatsApp: +82 10 9853 8153
- KakaoTalk: jgolds11